Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Over Cheese, Bread and Coffee

We were discussing some random office bits and somehow, we ended up talking about our childhood.

L, my office buddy, and I were having merienda and as usual, we covered loads of topics. We are both very talkative. And we often jump into one topic to another in top speed.

Today, we jumped into the topic of our childhood. As expected, we agreed to agree on several points – and agreed to disagree on some others. In the course of our conversation, we came upon several theories that are JUST THAT – theories.

DISCLAIMER: I am sharing these for the sake of storytelling. If you would be uncomfortable or would disagree with some of the things written here, please remember that these ideas were discussed between two friends who love and tolerate each other. :) It does not necessarily apply to you. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

Childhood theory # 1
First-born girls would always want to be in the limelight.

I guess this comes from always being the center of attention -- until the siblings come and you see them staging their own show, well- it ticks off something and suddenly you're irritated.

Thankfully, Mom saw through this tendency and stopped any hard feelings before they could surface. She would always say, “let them have their share. You will get your turn.”

Childhood theory # 2
The “Bunso” is the most clingy of all siblings.

L was telling a story on how, during kindergarten, she would always want to see her Nanay just outside of the classroom door. And when Nanay goes out of sight, she would come out of the room and look for her. And when she would not find her, she would throw tantrums.

This reminded me so much of my sister, who is also Bunso like L. When we were young, I could not understand why Mom would have to stay in school instead of just leaving my sister to study. “She would not let me leave. Humahabol eh,” Mom would tell Dad.

L eventually outgrew this “clingy” attitude, and so did my sister.

Childhood theory # 3
First-borns are generally stubborn and would not back down from fights and challenges.

First-borns would not generally compromise – that's true in my case. I would not apologize if I knew that I was not the one at fault. At work, I would take accountability if I know that I am responsible, set things right to make the general situation better. But I would take action to point out why the mistake was made.

L confirmed that their Ate is like this, as well. I guess this stems from being the mandatory“responsible sibling.” I always get the talk “you should be responsible, you should be a role model for your sister.”

I guess they never got me on the role model part.

Childhood theory # 4
Younger siblings would always be bullied by the elder siblings. 
Younger siblings are also the “sumbungeros.”

Raise your hand if you can relate!

I'm the elder sibling and I am guilty of bullying. My sister is luckier because she only had me to bully her. L is the youngest of three. She has an Ate and a Kuya, so go figure. 
 
Childhood theory # 5
Mothers are always in competition when in comes to their children.

This is an inverted case of the wala-ka-sa-lolo-ko scenario.

L was saying that her sister and her brother's wife were always comparing their kids. If one could walk already, the other could walk faster. If one could dance, the other could dance AND sing. And so the feud goes. 
 
L was laughing at the scene. I think that the two mothers are very endearing and the kids are just plain cute. I just hope that they would realize that this attitude would not be healthy when the kids get older.

In our case, I remember a PTA meeting where mothers endlessly clucked about how their children were so talented and intelligent. Only to be bluffed by another mother who thinks her child was the best among the class.

Nothing against them, of course. Mothers are supposed to be proud of their kids. It just rubs off the wrong way when mothers one-up each other that way.

Thankfully again, Mom never did this during PTA meetings. She vents her proud musings among friends and relatives. And when that happens, my sister and I make sure we are not around. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

You would think that we talked for hours, but all these were tackled in fifteen minutes or so. Fast talkers, huh? Stories are our expertise.

Theories – well, we're learning along the way. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment